November 24, 2004

Carrot Casserole

This is my wife's favorite thanksgiving dish. It has been a tradition at her house ever since she grew up. Now that we do thanksgiving at my family's, I've adapted her mother's recipe and we bring the dish from time to time. I have to tell you, I never thought I would use velveeta cheese on a recipe, but it is a must in this one. It's delicious!

Ingredients

4 lb carrots, peeled and sliced crosswise (1/2-1" slices)

1 stick butter
2 shallots, finely diced.
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp dry mustard

1/4 cup flour

2 cups whole milk

1 8oz Velveeta Cheese package, cut into slices.

Fresh bread crumbs (optional)

Instructions

Steam or boil the carrots until done. Set aside on strainer when done.

While the carrots are cooking, melt the butter in a medium saucepan.

Add the shallots and cook for a few minutes stirring occasionally.

Add the salt, pepper and mustard, stir to combine and cook for a few minutes.

Add the flour and cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly to make sure it doesn't burn.

Add the milk and stir to combine. Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly until the sauce starts boiling and thickens. Set aside.

Using a deep caserole dish, layer half the carrots, then the velveeta slices, and finally the rest of the carrots. Pour sauce on top and then sprinkle breadcrumbs on top.

Bake in a 350F preheated oven for 20 minutes or until it is heated through and the cheese is completely melted.

1 comment:

Pumped Up Foodie said...

I recently made this dish again for Thanksgiving and was a huuge hit! No one even knew there was any velveeta in it. I used Panko breadcrumbs and real dijon mustard for the dry mustard this time with better success.

I still used velveeta cheese but next time I might try a real cheese such as Gruyere and see the results.