1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter (6 oz)
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate (I used 100% Guirardelli, black label)
2 1/4 cups sugar
1/4 cup finely ground coffee beans (I used a Starbucks whole bean blend, Pike Place, and ground it myself)
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour (NOT the self rising kind)
3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped hazelnuts
9"x13" pan (I used a straight edged aluminum commercial brand)
parchment paper (NOT waxed paper, that melts)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper 9"x13" and place in bottom of the pan. This will help take the brownies out.
- Roast the hazelnuts in the oven for 5 minutes if already chopped, 10 minutes if whole. Chop after they cool off if not chopped already.
- Melt butter on microwave. 2-3 minutes at power 50% will probably do.
- Chop chocolate and put in the . Let it rest for 5-10 minutes until it is all melted. Mix w/ a spatula. If there are still unmelted chucks, melt on microwave at 30% power using 30 second intervals and mixing in between until all is melted. Do not overheat or the chocolate will burn. It should look nice and smooth and shiny.
- Mix sugar and ground coffee w/ the melted chocolate and butter using a spatula. It will look sort of grainy.
- Whisk eggs into the mix, one at a time w/ a hand whisk (or even the same spatual will do, it's just harder).
- Whisk in the vanilla.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt into the chocolate mixture and mix together w/ the spatula until all of the dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Place mix into prepared pan, leveling w/ spatula.
- Sprinkle chopped nuts evenly over the chocolate mix. You can use the bottom of a measuring cup and lightly press the nuts into the mix, but not too much so that they don't get buried into the mix.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. 25 will yield very , 30 will be cakey.